The rule for New Year's Day is everybody is supposed to set goals and make grand resolutions to better themselves. People vow to forgive old grudges, take the stairs to work and volunteer to spend time with underprivileged children.
A few years ago, my friend Liz and I made a bucket list for the new year; a to-do list of new things to try before the year kicked the bucket. It worked, too. I got a tattoo, donated blood, chose a college and a major and read more books. When I went back to school, I lost my bucket list somewhere in the move and I haven't picked it up since. I think this is the year to write a new list. And I think blogging about it will help me cross everything off said list. So here goes nothing:
1. Read at least two books a month. I love to read but time isn't always on my side. And since my job consists of reading, I don't always jump at the chance to read during my free time. I want to change that.
2. Run a 10K. Since I started running three years ago, I have run in a few 5Ks. My friend Vanessa challenged me to run a marathon and/or a triathlon. Going from 5Ks to a marathon might require a few steps in between and I think a 10K is the next logical step. Having a goal like a race also helps keep me motivated to run and work out when it is dark and snowing outside. The Fifth Third River Bank 10K is May 12.
3. Blog and write. I'm a writer who stopped writing. Wow, does that sound bad. I set up this blog to start writing again and I failed at making it a priority. And since I haven't been blogging and I no longer freelance, I miss writing. I need to fall into a pattern of blogging on a regular basis, even if it's only a paragraph or two. I think if I can do that, I will be able to keep up with it.
4. Get a new tattoo. I like the one I have and I want another one. I know what I want and where I want to put it, I just need to go do it.
5. Go horseback riding. I've never done it and always wanted to.
6. Rock climb. I've done it a few times and liked it. I just need to find a place I can go on a regular basis and someone to go with me.
7. Eat better. I'm not jumping on the New Year's resolution bandwagon of committing to dieting and exercising. I already exercise six days a week. But I am not the best at eating healthy. Given a choice between carrots and french fries, I don't tend to pick rabbit food. I need to grow a backbone and learn to say no to the greasy potatoes and other tasty, bad for you foods.
8. Use my ticket. I have a voucher for a plane ticket and I have until next October to use it. I will be mad as hell if I let it expire.
No comments:
Post a Comment