Monday, March 5, 2012

So messy this can't not be awesome

I know everyone will be shocked by this, but leave it to me to make my own goals more complicated. I've written two posts so far about crossing a 10K run off this year's bucket list and how I was aiming at running the 5/3 River Bank Run this summer.

The minute I told the world I was going to start training for a 10K, my body said "Oh, no you're not." Since December, I have battled two colds in six weeks and pulled a muscle in my side that knocked me down to only 5 minutes of running before I collapsed in pain.

It took two months, but I finally kicked the stubborn cold symptoms (knock on wood) and my side is finally starting to feel better. I don't know about anybody else, but the minute I stop running, my stamina regresses and pretty much have to start from scratch in building back my endurance. I'm back up to 20-25 minutes. Yay me!



But now there is another potential road block in running the River Bank Run. The race is Saturday, May 12. My dad just told me there is an airshow in Shreveport that same weekend that he wants me to go to. Of course there is.

While my going back to Louisiana is not set in stone, I started looking up other potential 10Ks in case I miss the River Bank Run. And that's when I found it. The coolest run, and another on my life bucket list — The Kalamazoo Mud Run!

While it is only a 5K, it is much harder to do and I've wanted to compete in a warrior run since I learned about them. These races take runners through the woods, through mud (obviously) and over a bunch of obstacles. Racers could run up platforms, crawl under barbed wire and wade through 3-foot rivers. It looks similar to how movies portray obstacle courses at basic training. It looks so crazy, hard and messy that it can't not be awesome. I've seen pictures of a few friends compete in them and it looks crazy cool.

So, I'm thinking I'm going to cover my bases. I'll keep working toward my original goal of running the 10K in May, keep an eye out for another local 10K this year, and I'll sign up for the mud run in June. That way, no matter what happens, I will cross something off one of my bucket lists. That sounds good enough to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment